Served at the 2012 Holiday Fare Wine Trail
5 lbs. lean beef cubed (rump, inside round, bottom round)
1 lb shallots, peeled
4-6 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 bunch fresh thyme or 4 tablespoons dried thyme
4 bay leaves, crumbled
1 bottle dry red wine (Star Lane Estate or Hermannhof Norton)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 lb smoked bacon pieces (Burgers country cured ham seasoning pieces work well)
2 tablespoons beef base
ground black pepper
1 (8 ounce) can stewed tomatoes (optional)
2 tablespoons corn starch (optional)
- Marinade the beef with the herbs, shallots and garlic over night in the red wine
- Drain and save marinade
- In a large skillet sear & brown beef in olive oil. Do not overcrowd pan.
- Transfer browned beef to a oven safe covered roaster or cast iron casserole dish
- Fry the smoked bacon pieces, drain and add to the beef
- Brown the shallot and garlic in the bacon fat and add to the beef/bacon mixture
- (Add stewed tomatoes at this time if being used)
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F and slowly cook 4 to 6 hours or until meat is very tender
- When meat is tender and done, remove from oven , mix with spoon and let rest 20 minutes.
- At this time it is optional to thicken the Beouf En Daube by adding the cornstarch to 1 cup of the roaster stock, mix well and then mix well back into the roaster.
- Serve with crusty French bread or potatoes of your choice.
Pairs well with Star Lane Estate Red or Hermannhof Norton