Served at the 2012 Holiday Fare Wine Trail
½ cup minced shallots (about 2 large)
2 tablespoons butter
½ pound crimini mushrooms , halved and finely sliced
¼ pound shiitake mushrooms, coarsely diced
¼ pound porcini mushrooms, coarsely diced
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Fresh black pepper
¼ cup cream Sherry
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 large egg, beaten lightly
24-30 mini phyllo cups, thawed and at room temperature (frozen food at grocery)
- In a large oven safe skillet cook shallots in butter over medium heat, stirring, until softened.
- Add diced shiitake and porcini mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper to taste and cook mixture over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until most of mushroom liquid is evaporated.
- Add crimini mushrooms, balsamic vinegar and cream Sherry and continue to cook until liquid is mostly evaporated.
- Remove from heat to cool until warm (about 140 F)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F
- Whisk in cream, egg, and more salt and pepper to taste if desired
- Transfer mixture to oven and bake uncovered on center rack 20 minutes .
- Remove from oven and spoon mixture into mini phyllo cups and serve warm.
Pairs well with Hermannhof Chambourcin or Hermannhof Norton