Served at the 2020 Wild Bacon Wine Trail, Dierberg Star Lane Tasting Room
2 lbs. lean ground beef or ground chuck
12-14 oz. package bacon
6-8 oz. package shredded cheddar cheese
1 ½ cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
2 tablespoons catsup
salt and pepper
Pre-heat oven to 350°F
- Dice bacon into small pieces no larger than ½ inch and cook
- In a large mixing bowl add half the ground beef and half the cooked bacon
- Add one egg
- Add half the bread crumbs
- Add half the cheese
- Add one tablespoon catsup
- Add half the salt and pepper you would normally use
- Add remaining ground beef and bacon
- Add all remaining ingredients
- Mix well by hand (foodservice gloves please) folding ingredients until well combined
- Form meatballs to the size of a large golf ball, about 2-3 oz.
- Bake on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet, center oven rack about 30 min. or 140°F internal temp.
- Let rest 10-15 min.
Serve with Cabernet Sauvignon