Served at the Wild Card (Bacon) Wine Trail 2013
1 lb. unsalted butter
1 1/2 cup flour
2 quarts heavy cream
1 Tbsp. lobster base or 3 cups seafood stock
8 oz. crab meat
8 oz. (60/70) shrimp, peeled, deveined and drained
8 oz. clams in juice, chopped
1 lb. hickory smoked bacon, rendered and drained
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a heavy bottom sauce pot, melt butter. Add flour to make a roux. Add heavy cream and stir.
2. Bring to a simmer on medium heat, stirring occasionally, to avoid roux from scorching, about 15 minutes.
3. Once bisque begins to thicken, add in lobster base, crab meat and chopped clams in juice. The clam juice will thin the bisque a little, but the roux will help bring the consistency back.
4. Allow to cook for 15 minutes, to cook the flavor of the roux out.
5. Heat mussels and shrimp.
6. Serve Bisque topped with shrimp, mussels and bacon.
Can adjust thickness by adding more or less flour for the roux.
Also, can add 1 lb. diced potatoes to turn your bisque into a chowder.
Serve with Dierberg Star Lane Sauvignon Blanc.