Served at the 2013 Wild Card (Bacon) Wine Trail
1 lb. peppered bacon, diced
3 heads red cabbage, shredded
1 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
3 red delicious apples, diced
1. In medium stock pot, render bacon until crisp and remove from pot. Reserve grease.
2. Add apples to bacon grease and saute for 2 minutes on high.
3. Turn down heat to medium. Add remaining ingredients, except bacon.
4. Braise on medium heat for 30 minutes or until the cabbage has a deep purple color. Add bacon.
5. Add more sugar for sweetness or vinegar for tartness.
Serve with Hermannhof White Lady.