This weekend is the Say Cheese Wine Trail, December 12 & 13. Ticket holders can sip and sample wine and cheese pairings, from the classic to the creative, at seven stops on the Hermann Wine Trail. This event coincides with Hermann’s popular Kristkindl Markt, an Old-World holiday market at the Hermannhof Festhalle.
2015 Say Cheese Tasting Menu
- Adam Puchta
Homemade Lasagna, paired with Hunter’s Red
Cheesy Ham & Bacon Chowder, paired with Jubilee White
- Dierberg Star Lane
Sun-Dried Tomato Tart with Fontina and Prosciutto, paired with Cabernet Sauvignon
Baked Brie on Crostini with Blackberry Compote, paired with Norton
Cream Cheese Pound Cake, paired with Strawberry Wine
Cheese Plate from Cool Cow Cheese Company, paired with Semi-Sweet Vignoles
- Stone Hill
Black Forest Ham and Gruyere Cheese Empanadas with Mustard Seed Aioli served with Reserve Vignoles
Tickets: $30 per person. Purchase tickets using PayPal here.
On-line ticket sales end Wednesday, Dec. 9th at 4 pm. After that you can call the Hermann Welcome Center to see if there are tickets available at 800-932-8687.
- Christmastime in Hermann – Dec. 1-31. Christmastime is magical in our German village, where holiday customs date back centuries. Reminiscent of Christmas markets in Germany, Kristkindl Markts the first two weekends of December head a full schedule of holiday events.
- Deutschheim Weinachtsfest – Dec. 1st & 2nd Weekends – Experience a 19th-century German Christmas celebration at Deutschheim State Historic Site. The Pommer-Gentner House is decorated with greenery and lit by lamplight. Its historic rooms feature Christmas trees decorated with authentic German ornaments. Visitors are invited to sample traditional German Christmas cookies and to learn how Christmas customs of the German immigrants became American traditions still celebrated today. A special Christmas gift shop features springerle molds and rolling pins, recipe books, imported German pop-up cards, and a selection of unique books for Christmas gift giving. Hours are 10:00 to 4:00 on both Saturday and Sunday.
- Historic Hermann Museum German Bake Sale – Dec 1st & 2nd Weekends
- Christmas Tablescapes – Dec 1st & 2nd Weekends – The historic Rotunda Building in the city Park sparkles with elaborate Christmas table displays. Group tours available by appointment. Hours are 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on both Saturday and Sunday. Sponsored by the Gasconade County Historical Society.
- White House Hotel Lantern Tours – Dec. 7-9, 11 & 12 – Step into an 1880s Victorian Christmas at the Historic White House Hotel. Evening lantern tours (reservations required) start at 6:30 p.m. on December 7, 8 and 9. Look for the ticket booth with a red door on First Street, across from the Wurst Haus.
- The Spirit of CHRISTmas at Starkenburg – Dec 9-12 – Mezzo-soprano Carrie Kirchhofer-Tilly sings holiday favorites and Jonie Loehnig plays selections on the 1860 Pfeffer pipe organ at the beautiful St. Martin’s Church, six miles west of Hermann. Concerts are from 2:30 to 4:00 p.m. on December 9, 10, 11 and 12. Refreshments will be available after the performance.
- Book Signing – Dec. 10, 2-5 pm – Local photographers William Fields and Tony Carosella will sign copies of their book, “Hermann Missouri: One of the Prettiest Towns in America,” in the Fireplace Room at the Inn at Hermannhof. Appetizers, coffee, hot wassail and mulled cider will be served.
- Live Nativity – Dec. 11, 4-8 pm – Local families stage a live nativity scene, complete with animals, at the Hermann Stable, Fourth and Gutenburg. Enjoy carol singing, along with hot chocolate, cider and coffee. This non-denominational event is free and open to the public.
- Columbia Handbell Ensemble – Dec. 12, 7:30-9 pm – The Columbia Handbell Ensemble brings the music of Christmas to Hermann for the 11th year. Sponsored by the Hermann Arts Council.
- Miniature Tree Decorating Contest – Dec. 12 & 13 – Visit the Hofgarten to see winners of this year’s tree decorating contest, sponsored by the Hermann Area Chamber of Commerce. After the exhibit, entries are donated to nursing homes, residential care centers and hospitals.
- Kristkindl Markt at Hermannhof – Dec. 12 & 13, 10 am-4 pm – Is one of the most authentic German style markets in the US. Kristkindl Markt this weekend is at Hermannhof Festhalle, the Celebration Hall and the beautiful outdoor Hofgarten are all are located at the corner of First Street and Gutenberg in downtown Hermann. Almost 50 exhibitors and vendors will display their wares and demonstrate old time crafts for holiday shoppers all weekend. Many new exhibitors will join artisans who have been with the Kristkindl for a decade: hand woven shawls, silver and pewter ornaments, scherenschnitte, mittens, coats, goat’s milk soaps, baked goods, scarves, hand carved Santa’s, and more. Read more
- St. George Christmas Bazaar – Dec. 13, 11 am-3 pm – All-you-can-eat Christmas dinner, games for children, pictures with Santa, Mrs. Claus’s mercantile, live and silent auctions, and raffles. Dinners are $10 for adults, $9 for seniors, and $5 for children age 5-10. Children’s Concert starts at 4:00.
See you on the trail!