Memorial Day is a day to remember and pay tribute to those who have died serving our country. Memorial Day was first called Decoration Day, and was observed after the American Civil War as a way to honor Union and Confederate soldiers who died during combat. Then by the 20th century, Decoration Day became known as Memorial Day, a time to honor all Americans who have died while in the military service.
It also marks the unofficial beginning of summer activities, and the Hermann Wine Trail invites you to spend this holiday weekend in Hermann, relaxing and attending Hermann’s Memorial Day Service.
The annual Memorial Day service will be presented by the Hermann VFW Post 4182 and the Ladies Auxiliary Monday, May 25 at 9 am at the Hermann City Cemetery. The Color Guard will lead the Memorial Day Parade from the old Firehouse down Market St. and turn left at Casey’s General Store and move up the hill to the cemetery. The Hermann Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts will join the event to honor our fallen military service men and women. Guest speaker will be Mayor Tom Shabel, who is a member of Hermann VFW Post 4182. High School trumpet player Trevor Hartman will play taps at the end of the service.
The Hermann Wine Trail doesn’t have an organized event this weekend but the wineries are all open for wine tasting and fun. Several wineries on the trail have events and music, so check the schedule below or go to our calendar of events here.
Winery events Saturday:
- Adam Puchta Winery – Open for wine tasting all weekend!
- Bias Winery & Microbrewery – Open for wine & beer tasting all weekend!
- Hermannhof Winery – Open for wine tasting all weekend!
- OakGlenn Winery – Music 2-6 pm. Even Steven plays solo acoustic guitar and sings all those classic rock songs you know by heart; from REO Speedwagon to The Beatles to the Steve Miller Band. You’ll love his sense of humor, his corny jokes and his awesome music. You don’t wanna miss this afternoon of FREE music at OakGlenn Winery!
- OakGlenn Winery – 3:30-7:30 pm. Meals available. Our tasty menu consists of sandwiches, salads, fried chicken dinner and even a variety of desserts. No reservations needed.
- OakGlenn Winery – Saturday evening music 6-10pm. Saturday evening we will be kickin’ up our heels with the rockin’ country band, Doc Holiday. Cover charge $5 per person.
- Röbller Vineyard – 1:30-5:30 pm Live Music by Sarah Marie Duo (free). Cheese & sausage, hot pizza & snacks available.
- Stone Hill Winery – Wine Country Shrimp Boil. Come hungry & come early to our Sherry House. Boil starts at noon. Live music starts at 1:00 p.m and is provided by Man in the Ring. Shrimp Boil Plate: Potatoes, corn, sausage & shirmp
Winery events Sunday:
- OakGlenn Winery – Live Music, 1-5 pm. Born and raised in southern Missouri, Scottie Kemp has music running through his veins. Scottie is a solo artist preforming country classics and great classic rock songs. Enjoy this Sunday afternoon of FREE live music at OakGlenn Winery!
Winery events Monday:
- OakGlenn Winery – Live Music, 1-5 pm. Even Steven plays solo acoustic guitar and sings all those classic rock songs you know by heart; from REO Speedwagon to The Beatles to the Steve Miller Band. You’ll love his sense of humor, his corny jokes and his awesome music. You don’t wanna miss this afternoon of FREE music at OakGlenn Winery!
Hermann weekend activities:
- May 21-23 – Ford Blue Oval Rally.
- Hundreds of Ford vehicles, from race cars to tractors, and thousands of Ford enthusiasts gather in Hermann for a rally, sponsored by the Midwest Blue Oval Ford Club. Show off your Ford, stay at a charming B&B, cruise country roads to area wineries, shop for one-of-a-kind treasures at shops and galleries in the historic district. All profits from this event benefit local charities.
- May 25 – Hermann City Band Concert, 7:30-9:30 pm
- Grab a lawn chair or blanket and enjoy an open-air concert by the Hermann City Band. In case of rain, this event will be held at Hermann High School.
Read more about Hermann here.
We invite you to come out and enjoy the beauty of Hermann and all it has to offer!